Having a man cave is the dream of many men. Have you always wanted a space of your own? A man cave where you can indulge your hobbies, kick back and relax with friends, and turn up the bass on your sound system?
If you have space for a shed, or even have an existing shed, you can have it. And what better place than an underused garden shed? With a solid foundation, damp-proofing, heating, power and security, your shed can be turned into a warm, comfortable place for gaming, movies, your own bar or hobby workshop.
Full details are in the pdf download, but here’s a summary of our step-by-step guide to converting a new or existing shed into your own personal man cave.
Whether you’re after a dedicated games suite, a bar or just a bolthole to get away from it all, this guide will help you plan and achieve your dream.
Man cave shed conversion guide:
- Start planning your man cave conversion. Make two lists: one detailing what you’ll Use the shed for, and another detailing what your Requirements for those uses are.
- Plan your man cave’s size and layout, according to your Requirements list, available space and budget.
- Thoroughly check your existing shed and chosen site to assess its condition, making any necessary repairs.
- Make a comprehensive job list. Include the days on which each task will be achieved, and who will be doing each one (e.g. you, your mates, or a professional).
- Start converting your shed by damp- proofing it.
- Insulate the structure, then cover the walls with ply, plasterboard or tongue and groove.
- Install electricity (using mains, solar, or wind power). You’ll need a professional for this job.
- Fit your man cave with your choice of lighting (halogen, LED, fluorescent, lamps, or novelty lights).
- Install the heating choosing from wood stoves, tube heaters, underfloor, portable radiators, or convection heaters.
- Connect your man cave to the internet through tethering, WiFi or powerline adapters.
- Run water to the shed if required, using either new mains pipes or a water butt.
- Install and properly plumb in the bathroom, if you’re having one. A professional plumber should do this work.
- Ensure your shed and contents are properly secured with proper locks and solid door frames.
- Move your chosen storage solutions into the shed, along with your man cave gear.
- Decorate to your own taste.
Download the guide now, and make your man cave dream a reality.
Lead image and others by kind permission of readersheds.co.uk