Want to work from home but don’t have a dedicated space? Converting your garden shed into a garden office could be the ideal solution.
Transforming a little-used outdoor structure into a convenient work space will help balance your home and work life, as well as being cheap to run. If it’s your own business, you’ll also save a packet on office rental.
Full details are in the pdf download, but here’s a summary of our step-by-step guide to converting a new or existing shed into your own personal garden office.
Office shed conversion guide:
- Start planning your ideal office. Make two lists: one outlining what you will use your office for (Uses); the other listing what those uses will require (Requirements).
- Plan your office’s layout, experimenting with different ways to fit all your Requirements into the space.
- Check the state of your current shed, as well as your chosen site, to see if there are any maintenance issues to deal with before the conversion starts.
- Make a detailed job list. This should help you establish which supplies and professional help that you require for each job and each stage of the process.
- When the shed is prepared, start the conversion with thorough damp-proofing.
- Install insulation in the floors, ceiling and walls of the shed.
- Fit the shed with electricity, using either mains or alternative sources (wind or solar).
- Install your choice of lighting (e.g. lamps,fluorescents, halogen or LED lights).
- Install freestanding, wall-mounted or underfloor heating.
- Connect your shed to the internet using either tethering, WiFi or a powerline adapter.
- Run water to your shed from the mains, or install a water butt and guttering system.
- Secure the contents of your shed.
- Start moving in your furniture and storage
- Decorate your office according to your tastes.
Download the guide now, and find out how to create the ideal garden office in your shed.